Saturday, May 10, 2008

COUPLE OF TIPS, THOUGHTS

I have found that a combination of duct tape, clamps, plywood "U" shapes, and a hot glue gun work really well for "stapleless" building. (I'm not original, these are all ideas I got from Nick @ Guillemot or other places) Using duct tape to cover the forms seems to work really well too, allowing a pretty solid bond with a fairly easy release of wood glue and hot glue. I did use staples on the hull, but wanted the deck to be as pristine as possible. I have also found that Elmer's carpenter's glue, the waterproof "gel" exterior type (in a photo or two), is thicker and non-runny, sets up and dries quickly, enabling you to move along a bit faster (My wife found it and brought it home.. wasn't sure if I'd like it, but she scored for me!). Another cool feature of the curved deck pattern is that you can work non-stop. Once the sections are laid out, you can place a stip, move to the next section, place another..... By the time you've placed three or four, the first is set up enough to lay the next strip on it. The tapers require some patience though, so if you're challenged in that area, you may want to stick to straight strips!

Enjoy the process... I am.

P.S. My Aunt Q thinks I should change my email to lotsaclamps instead of lotsabikes!

No comments: